Old 20-08-2009, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Remove Laurel / kill stumps

"bigmick777" wrote in message

Hi to all,

I recently made the decision to remove my Laurel hedge from the back of
the property as it has broken the whole of the back fence and takes up a
good portion of the garden - it was about 35 feet across by 8 feet
high.

Anyway, I cut down the hedge to stumps (about 7 stumps in total each
around 10cm).

I have now put in a new fence and it is my intention to cover over the
old hedge with weed sheet / plum slate then put back border / patio
plants and maybe a decking area.

Obviously, I need to ensure that the laurel doesnt grow back so what I
have done so far is drill holes in each stump then fill with Sodium
Chlorate powder.

I havent put the weed sheet down or slate because I wanted to see how
successful the powder was. Its been several weeks now and the laurel
is beginning to re-sprout.

I was just going to repeat the process then take the risk of putting
down the weed sheet / several ton of slate, however, thought I would
ask for guidance.

Thanks in advance, Mick.

--
bigmick777

They don't appear to be all that big and there are not many of them. Why not
dig them out? I had a row down the side of the drive to my garage in a house
I had in Leicester and from memory would say there were twice that amount
and about the same diameter.

Dig a trench and keep moving the trench along to each root and they fall
into the trench!! Well sort of!

--
Mike

www.rneba.org.uk