Old 21-08-2009, 12:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Growing worms

"Gloria P" wrote:
SteveB wrote:
I would like to have worms around here so when I go fishing, I don't have
to drive a far distance and buy them. I googled, and they say to lay a
refrigerator on its side and use that for a home. Fill it with good dirt
they describe. Keep it in a cool shady place and keep moist. How hard
is it to just get some going in the garden and dig some up when one needs
them? Or is it better to have a fridge thing and have a good habitat for
them? Just how hard are they to get going and keep going?

Years ago a friend buried a car tire

You could have just as easily began with "Once upon a time... and long ago".

(on its side) nearly to the top.
He softened the dirt, added compost and a few worms and kept it watered
occasionally. In a short time he had more fishing worms within the tire
than he could possibly use in a lifetime. IIRC, he had no problem keeping
then over the winter.

I find it interesting how each and every responder talks about someone they
know but none have actually farmed worms themselves... a lot of misinforming
"can you top this" barroom talk. I wonder how many related that Magic Tire
story before you heard it... there is no way a tire in of itself can
attract/contain more worms in a piece of ground than had there been no tire.