Old 21-08-2009, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Plum surgery

Having finally picked the last of our estimated 75kg plums our plum tree is
looking a little unhappy, having snapped under the weight:

http://www.markettos.org.uk/ephemeral/IMG_1881.JPG
http://www.markettos.org.uk/ephemeral/IMG_1882.JPG

The snapped branch obviously needs to be removed. Is there any way I can
salvage the non-snapped parts, or should I cut it back to clean trunk wood
(losing more than half the tree)? I understand now is the best time to
avoid silverleaf.

Also, what success am I likely to have taking cuttings? I read rather
conflicting reports. I dug up a 3' high plum runner, losing most of the
roots in the process, potted it up and gave it away. It seems to be OK,
though only having leaves on the bottom foot. I think we might be out of
runners though.

Thanks
Theo