Old 23-08-2009, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Plum surgery

shazzbat wrote:

Ours did this too. Several branches snapped of and I've just cut them as
cleanly as I can and I'm hoping for the best. Branches get damaged for
various reasons in nature and trees have developed means of coping with it.
I don't know about silverleaf.

Indeed. But one of the ways nature copes is by dying. I'd rather not have
that happen given I don't have a plum orchard to replace it with, or 20
years to wait to grow another (if I can avoid it anyway, I know trees will
die at some point anyway).

The problem with that is going to be the size. Or maybe not, I don't know
how big your garden is. But the fruit trees you buy are on dwarfing or
semi-dwarfing rootstocks, and cuttings will just do what they want.

Not that big. It's mainly in case the tree really does die, or if I move I
can take the cutting with me.

Does poorly-fruiting rootstock thing applies to cherries too? I have some
of those also taken from runners. At least one of those (which came from
the tree and I didn't dig it up) is about 7 years old, 8' tall and fruiting
fine.

Theo