Old 23-08-2009, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jiri B[_3_] Jiri B[_3_] is offline

Default Plum surgery

On 2009-08-22 18:20:55 +0100, David Rance
said:

I did this a few years ago and now have quite a large tree. It produces
a very large number of small green but sweet plums each year, a little
like greengages. Not much character but well worth collecting.
Obviously it reflects the stock onto which the original plum tree in
our neighbour's garden was grafted.

Which leads me to say that we have a glut of plums here in Normandy.
No-one much likes plum jam and we can't sell them or give them away
because everyone has a glut. So what I'm doing at the moment is making
gallons - well, litres - of plum relish which one of my daughters nags
me for year after year. Apparently it goes well with spare ribs of pork.

If anyone is interested in the recipe I'll post it here.

David

Hang on! What about Slivovitz??

Slivovitz, or Slivovice is distilled from quetsches.
This is not to say that other plums, apricots or other stone fruit
would not make an agreeable drink, but true slivovice it would not be.
:-)

Jiri B - "compost mentis" in North Staffs.