Old 23-08-2009, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Killing Ivy

"Colin" wrote:

What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing
all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller
to kill them that won't harm the trees.

You can cut whatever parts of the ivy are growing on your side of the
property line but the application of defolient or digging/pulling up the ivy
is something best discussed with your neighbor prior to proceeding with any
erradication method and first obtaining their written permission. In some
jurisdictions one may apply for monetary compensation for periodically
cutting the parts of a neighbor's vegetation growing on your side when they
refuse to cut back or otherwise contain their vegetation. There have been
many law suits won by people against neighbors whose invasive vegetation
have crossed the line... in some instances blocking the view with vegetation
is against the law. Of course if you have any reason to believe your
neighbor will be uncooperative then it is best to say nothing, creep out in
the middle of a moonless night with your sprayer filled with defolient and
have at it.