Old 23-08-2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Help on killing multiflora rose

"Cheryl Isaak"wrote:

I've tried brush killer and repeated to the ground pruning and
combinations
there of -

HELP - I missed it when it was a seedling and now it seems poised to take
over despite my best efforts. I've tried cutting to the ground and putting
cement block over the stump (for the lack a better phrase).

Cheryl

Placing a stone over the a rose bush stump will only encourage wider growth.
Dig around the stump as deeply as is practical for your abilities or get
someone to help dig and pull out the stump and/or lop off as much of the
root system as you can. If this rose bush has been growing from a seedling
only a couple three years (which is what I suspect if you say you haven't
noticed it) it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to totally remove it with
a garden spade, especially now that you already cut it to the ground... why
didn't you simply continue and dig it up, probably less labor than hauling a
cement block. Dig it up right away because now that you've cut it to the
ground it will make a concerted effort to live by enlarging its root system.
Were it me I'd move it to a better location... wild rose makes excellent
wildlife habitat, small song birds love to nest amongst all those thorns.