Old 23-08-2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
jeff jeff is offline

Default micro irrigation

Suzanne D. wrote:

"jeff" wrote in message

I suppose since the backbone runs along the garden path also, I'll tap
off for a few other plants, the roses have taken a beating...

Might as well. It's just a couple of extra lines and drippers. You may
find that you start to go a little crazy once you get into it. More
lines! More emitters! What else can I water??

OK. I've got it "wired"! The one thing I've noticed is that I seriously
underestimated how much 1/4" line I would need! I've used it up 80'
watering 16 plants with a max of 4 plants per line (with a 60' 1/2"
backbone). No line left for the roses.

Drip Depot from Oregon to Atlanta priority mail took 2 days, I'm impressed!

I'd like to get a timer as I'm often away for a few days. I notice that
they have water cycles from about a week to every hour. Who waters every
hour? Or even every 8 hours?

My thinking is that I should be watering every day or two depending
on how hot. Perhaps with the deeper drip irrigation I can lengthen that.
The cukes are the problem child seeming to need water in the heat of the
day.

With the drippers under the mulch does it matter as much when to
water or should I aim to water after sunrise but before it heats up?

How close to the base of the plant should I put the drippers? An inch
or two?

Jeff