Old 23-08-2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Killing Ivy

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:15:40 +0100, "Colin" wrote:

What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing
all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller
kill them that won't harm the trees.

Wait until a soaking rain and pull out the ivy by hand. I have a pair
of leather garden gloves for such occasions. You can also cut the ivy
vines near the ground. A different method for poison ivy, though.

We don't know what kind of ivy, the OP didn't say. But most ivy can be
lopped off and pulled out by it's roots. However if any part of the root
remains it's very likely it will grow back. Poison ivy hates salt, so a
handful of rocksalt on the roots will usually do it in permanently without
harming nearby trees.