Old 24-08-2009, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Reporting in

Hi all. I've been busy working, figured I'd report in before y'all
thought I'd died or something. We held a Speaker's Day in Sacramento
featuring Roy Tokunaga, Ron McHatton and Carlos Fighetti as well as
short culture sessions with Alan Koch and Dennis Olivas as well as the
above. Had a great time, learned a lot, great public support even from
the newbies. I think people thirst for knowledge at a higher level than
we give them credit for. The center didn't lose too much money as a
group and I bought some decent orchids (kovachii hybrid seedlings and a
blue phal). Since then I've been repotting (yes, stuff is still rooting)
and generally taking care of my orchids. Haven't had time to take
pictures. Or maybe its I haven't had the inclination to take pictures,
LOL! Been musing on orchids as a way of life. Not a hobby for those
who like to travel. Or otherwise get sidetracked. Hence they become the
end itself, I suppose. You gotta like them and the people who grow
them. The club held a greenhouse tour, was impressed that Fordyce is
still making standard catt crosses. He's the one that got me started
thinking about orchids as a lifestyle. Some folks ride Harleys. Some
boat. I grow orchids. Wish we'd stop thinking we're failures if people
don't get as enthused as we do and drop out. Its not a reflection on
us. Orchids ain't for everyone. The club's BBQ was yesterday, fewer
people but I'm betting we still made the same amount of money. I know I
repotted with an eye to giving away divisions at the BBQ, so had 20-25
to bring to the table this year. Many sold well. Lord knows I need the
bench space. This year the 2.5 in pots are all moved up to 4". Temps
in the GH have been all over the map - Highs over 95F, lows to 62F.
Fewer sheathes and spikes.... I think the GH needs to cool off more at
night. we'll see. But I did get a ascda to bloom so that's something,
LOL! The Vandas like the temps. I will say since repotting new roots
are popping out all over. Amazing the way that works... I want to go
to the Trustees meeting in LA in Oct, but have once again over-committed
myself. There'll be a show in Fresno, our show and the Trustee's
meeting all in the same 10 day period. Plus employment...so no
Trustees. Well, there. That's it. SOSDD.

You?

K Barrett