Old 24-08-2009, 09:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Killing Ivy

Colin wrote:
What's good for killing ivy without harming nearby fruit trees?
The neighbouring land (not someone's garden) has a couple of seriously
overgrown ivy plants and they're growing onto my property and also growing
all over the fruit trees next to them. I'd like some sort off weedkiller to
kill them that won't harm the trees.

Why not just cut through the stems that go up the fruit trees? That is
the most simple solution. Severing to its roots will kill it. If the ivy
is on wild land it isn't doing much harm to anyone and is an evergreen
shelter for wildlife.

You won't easily kill it. The waxy coat one ivy seedlings allows them to
resist glyphosate pretty effectively.

Regards,
Martin Brown