Old 16-04-2003, 09:56 PM
profpam

Default nobile type dends and keikis

"It had been potted in moss, and I repotted in coir on the
assumption that the two would have similar
properties WRT moisture."

Dendrobrium keikis and plants appear to do best when underpotted and
placed in either orchid rock or volcanic rock. A keiki requires at
least 2" of growth to be repotted.

.. . . Pam
Ted Byers wrote:

I posted a while ago about this plant. I repotted it today and observed a
couple interesting things. 1) the roots seem to be much finer than the
roots on the other dends I have repotted, but they look to be in very good
shape. 2) there were two pseudobulbs, and the remains of a third, that had
been buried in moss by whoever had last repotted it, and two of these have
brand new keikis (less than 5 mm long). It had been potted in moss, and I
repotted in coir on the assumption that the two would have similar
properties WRT moisture.

Now, I had asked about the advisability of leaving the keikis in place vs
removing them and I obtained mixed responses. Given that the roots do seem
to be in good health, but there is no new pseudobulb developing, should the
keikis be removed or left in place? It seems to me that most of the
photosynthetically active tissues are in the two largest keikis (which are
now large enough to remove), and so they're likely providing more to the
mother plant than they take. And how likely is it that doing so will
stimulate production of new pseudobulbs, given that there are now two new
keikis which will likely take at least a month or two to reach a size where
they could be removed?

Cheers,

Ted