Old 24-08-2009, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Dollard Jake Dollard is offline

Default Thinking of buying Parasene Pro - Weed Wand (with trolley) 563 -DONT!

"Steve" wrote in message
Complete and utter rubbish. The trolley is not even suitable for
carrying a canister of gas let alone a bottle because it's just not
made well at all. A sack barrow design would have been better. Very
poor welding ensured it was next to useless.

The flame gun itself seemed OK but the ignition is very suspect
(piezo)

As for burning weeds? Funnily enough some weeds just don't burn and
even more just don't die for long. Not to mention the damage to
insects like ladybirds and the like. All in all don't waste your
money. I was told the cansiter weed wands were useless, but the big
boy is too.

Pro-Weed Wand (with trolley) 563
https://www.parasene.com/vshop/details.asp?prodID=191
This Flame weed burner works on the same principle as the best selling
550 Weed-Wand, but just on a bigger scale, Its powerful 1300'c flame
kills weeds cell structure leaving the desired area weed free in
24hours. This Professional model, Designed for use in large gardens,
around farms and in public areas. Ideal for public authorities ,
people with holiday trailers, private gardeners with long gravel
drives and others who have areas where weeds are difficult or
expensive to control.

Specifications:
Uses standard gas bottle in 7kg to 20kg canisters.
1kg of gas provides approximately 1 hour of continuous use.
1-Year Manufacturer Guarantee

Think I might try spraying petrol/vinegar/diesel on the gravel drive.
I made three test areas and all seem clear a week later.

Any issues with this do you think?

Hazards with petrol dousing seem to speak for themselves. If you fancy being
in the centre of a volatile explosive cloud then fire away (pun intended).
In the case of any injury/ damage, I think that a case for gross negligence
is pre-proven. It only takes one spark!

Diesel also is inflammable, though far less so than petrol. You may find it
damaging to vehicle tyres, as well as turning your drive into a potential
skidpan. It is intended to drive vehicles, not to be released into the
environment in it's raw state. You may well find another prosecution in the
offing in case of it's entry into watercourses, public roads etc. It's
effect on tarmac is quite quickly damaging.

As for the vinegar I have doubts about it's efficacy.

What's wrong with one of the established weedkiller chemicals if you must.