Old 24-08-2009, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mysterious Traveler Mysterious Traveler is offline

Default Indoor gardening for urban beginners

Birmingham1981 wrote:
Hi all

I am completely new to gardening but would love to hear a few tips as
to how to start growing a few things in pots.

We are absolutely keen to start growing some herbs and perhaps a chilli
plant, but the problem is that we live in the heart of Birmingham in a
new flat. There is no balcony and nowhere we could put window boxes (we
tried!) or hanging baskets. We are on the waiting list for an allotment
but this isn't coming any time soon!

We do however have two huge windows (with generous windowsills) that
get the morning sunshine and light all day.

I would like to try growing some basic culinary herbs (rosemary, basil,
coriander, thyme, parsley) and a chilli plant. I understand the herbs
are straightforward to grow from seed in a pot indoors, but what about
the chilli? Can we grow it from seed or buy a small plant and grow
that?

Also, is there anything else we can feasibly grow indoors? Perhaps a
flowering plant? We do already have some bog standard houseplants but
would like to have a few more colorful additions!

Everyone likes tomato, they grow great indoors. Get one already started
from your local garden center, put it in a bigger pot. I think you'll
be happy. Tomato will self pollinate but I don't know about other plants.

Mysterious Traveler

If anyone has any ideas at all, I'd love to hear about them since we
have no idea how to start our indoor garden!

Thank you!