Old 24-08-2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Volunteer potatoes poisonous???

In article , sockiescat.507f946
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

okay i know this is a dumb question but are volunteer potatoes
poisonous?
my mother is driving me around the bend on this issue:S.
we have a few red potato that came through from last years crop so we
hilled them up.
my mother said they were poisonous if they came up from last years
potatoes and darn well not to even think of eating them.
now to my way of thinking i dont see it as she does i think volunteer
potatoes should be just as good as any other potatoes.
anyone got thoughts on this :S.
cyaaaaa, sockiescat.

People get the damnedest ideas. I wonder where in the world this one
came from...

We harvest a few volunteer potatoes every year and have yet to die
....unless have died and this is the afterlife. ...In which case I want
to talk to the boss, 'cause it ain't like the travel brochures.

Maybe she's misremembering the potato tuber grown in light conditions,
turns green and gets toxic thing.