Old 24-08-2009, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson[_4_] Sally Thompson[_4_] is offline

Default Damson gin (was I Made a Wasp Trap)

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:47:21 +0100, Christina Websell wrote
(in article ):

Sally Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 17:45:20 +0100, Christina Websell wrote
(in article ):

Sally Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 20:59:08 +0100, Christina Websell wrote
(in article ):

snip

I don't like jam though :-(
I'm going to try making damson gin. Like sloe gin but damsons, why
not? Or wash the demi-johns out for some wine perhaps.

I make damson gin! Do you want my recipe?

Yes please!

Damson Gin:

3 lb damsons
3 lb sugar
1 x 70cl bottle gin (use the cheapest possible)

Put into screw-top glass jars or demi-johns (no need to prick
damsons).

No need to prick them with a silver pin?? Are you sure? My grandmother
told me this was essential.

No need at all - I thought that was for sloes.

Stir or turn every day for at least six weeks until sugar
is dissolved. Bottle.

When do you strain the damsons out so that the stones don't make it bitter?

Only when you bottle it. I can assure you it's not bitter! A friend said
she uses the damsons afterwards in an alcoholic crumble, but we found them a
bit dry for that. Haven't yet found a good use for them.

Have fun.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening