Old 24-08-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tahi Tahi is offline

Default Pears

"Of course you can make jam with them! Although just plain pear jam
probably
would not be too popular, chopped and stewed and added to any other jam
you
are making, they are fine. Some of the lumps will not disappear into mush
like apples but that only proves it is 'real home made jam made with real
fruit'.

I stew mine quartered or sliced and freeze in margarine tubs until I have
time for the jam-making.

Can you make jelly with them? Or even a solid pear 'cheese'? Pears are
delicious with proper cheese, and a nice set pear jelly, perhaps with some
thyme or rosemary in it.... well, I'd buy it!

--
Kate B

I have never tried either, but if you have plenty of pears why not
experiment with a small batch. Personally I would probably add some apples
to make sure they set properly, but then I have always had masses of apples
until this year so I am in the habit of adding apples to everything!
T.