Old 25-08-2009, 01:27 PM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Spring planting

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
Has anyone in the cooler areas managed to do any spring planting of
veg yet, and if so, how is it going?

I am not sure if I am in a cooler area, probably not. I have four trays
of seeds planted for transplantables and I will put non-transplantables in
ground today. The latter is taking a chance that there will not be a late
frost to knock the shoots off the taters. It is 30 degrees here right

now and I am watering gardens already. There is still quite a lot of
moisture in the subsoil but the top has started to dry out from the hot
westerly winds so a good shower would be handy.

Bloody heck! 30 degrees! It got to about 12 here today.

And yes, some rain would be very nice. I have a couple of lettuces in but
that is all. The rest are sitting around waiting for some more warmth.

Ah well, ever hopeful for some signs of spring (even though one of the
garden centres already has tomatoes in stock - wonder how many of them will
end up going to God rather than growing to fruition).