Old 25-08-2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Help on killing multiflora rose

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:03:31 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

snip
Thank you Leon. That does look helpful. A friend with one in a worse spot
calls it bush from hell. Her DH attacked it a chainsaw and poured Roundup
on
the "stumps". No go - more canes than ever.

They may have killed the original problem, but if it
produced seeds for a year two... As the article I linked to
mentions, "A medium-sized bush is capable of producing
500,000 to 1,000,000 seeds." and "Seeds may remain viable in
the soil for 10-20 years."

We have quite a few on our ~36 acres, the birds like them
and well, you know how that goes I've noticed how they
and the Autumn Olives tend to pop up more frequently
underneath the power lines, where the birds tend to perch.

It's only those who live on puny city lots or live in a furnished room in a
tenement building who think wild rose is a nuisance plant... it's folks who
have a few acres who appreciate wild rose as excellent wildlife habitat.
And it's extremely easy to keep wild rose, or any prolific plant, under
control with loppers and mowers... of course those who live in a furnished
room wouldn't have a clue.