Old 26-08-2009, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Thinking of buying Parasene Pro - Weed Wand (with trolley) 563-DONT!

Steve wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:08:29 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

You should think very carefully about the flammability
and toxicity risks too. Petrol is the only thing sold to the public
containing a significant amount of a known carcinogen (benzene).

Spraying petrol could be very nasty if there was a spark or any other
source of ignition. It is explosive in a wide range of air mixtures.

I agree but some of us can handle it safely. Others should not be
allowed anywhere near it )

You are headed for a Darwin award.

I can just about understand an irrational fear of all "chemicals" in the
general public. But I find it hard to reconcile this with an intention
to spray petrol and/or diesel all over the place.

I made three test areas and all seem clear a week later.

Any issues with this do you think?

Glyphosate is much more environmentally friendly than everything except
the vinegar (and chances are that was industrially manufactured).

There are 1001 reasons for not using glyphosate. None of which you'll
here from the salesman who has us all duped in whatever we buy. Be it
weed killer or any other noxious chemical invented by Monsanto.

Glyphosate is relatively benign. Don't buy the Monsanto variant though -
any generic will do or the ex ICI variation on the same theme. Extoxnet
has the low down on all common chemicals no salesmen involved.

http://pi.ace.orst.edu/search/showPD...fHL.s?docNum=1

It is the wetting agents in the commercial formulations that you have to
worry about. Unless you are a green plant or a malaria parasite the
effect of the active ingredient glyphosate is almost nil.

Glyphosate is the environmentally friendly weedkiller of choice.

Regards,
Martin Brown