Old 27-08-2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
JC JC is offline

Default Using treated lumber for raised beds?

"geronimo" wrote in message

For square foot gardening, I was thinking it might be cheaper to use
landscaping timbers that have two flat sides, drill holes near the
ends with two of them stacked, and then drive 1 in. EMT conduit
into
the holes to fix them into position---- like I have seen done with
raised flowerbeds. Untreated wood would probably rot in a short
time.
But what about growing veggies? What are the chances that toxins
could
get into the vegetables from the lumber if it's treated? Has someone
actually tested to see if arsenic leaches out and gets taken into
the
plants?

I did square foot gardening for several years but at my age the
weeding and work just got to be a bit much. So, I switched to Earthbox
http://www.green-trust.org/freebooks/Earthbox.pdf

I'm in south Texas and the heat is extrordinary this year. As a
result, when I went to put in the fall plants, the Walmart storage
bins I use just crumbled. I went to Tractor Supply Company and bought
6 40 gallon rubber tubs (used to water livestock) and am going to make
earthboxes out of them. I'm tellin ya, once you get them built
gardening is an absolute joy. It's the ticket for lazy folks like me.
All you do is water and replant for the seasons.