Old 28-08-2009, 02:00 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Spring planting

In article 4a95e2e0$0$28386$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, ask@itshall said...
"Jeßus" wrote in message
01.iinet.net.au, ask@itshall said...
Has anyone in the cooler areas managed to do any spring planting of veg
yet,
and if so, how is it going?

I've planted mostly kale, spinach, cabbage and leek about six weeks ago
- I also helped them along by protecting them with plastic covers, which
also deals with the huge winds we get (and are getting) here. Weeks of
rain also means no frosts for quite some time and warmer than usual
temps.

In that case, I'll get my Kale planting into the ground today.

I hope it works for you as it did I...

and those winds have been shocking. I thought they'd take the roof off the
house the other night.

At the moment I'm on a big fruit tree and natives planting spree... only
about another 400 trees and shrubs to go

Slow and steady there - no use busting a woofer valve to get them all into
the ground. Last year Himself planted a long shelter belt with minor
assistance on my part and I can't believe how well they are all doing. We
had a dry summer last year and so we ripped up a lot of irrigation pipes
we'd put on another shelter belt we put in one of the paddock about 10
years ago and gave the new trees some minor irrigation over summer. Even
that minor assitance has them leaping out of their bark.

Good to hear. I'm still learning the climate here - last summer was
quite dry - quite a lot drier than I was expecting, meaning I'll
probably need to drip irrigate the fruit trees.

All the locals say the weather is changing.
Then again, thats what you hear everywhere else as well.

Oh, N.E Tas here, btw.

Aaah! God's own.

I like to think so, which is why I bought this property last year

The frosts can be (and are) brutal here - bad news for the garden (well,
some of it at least), but I do love going out at daybreak during a good
frost - everything is crisp and still.

Where are you located again?