Old 28-08-2009, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Using treated lumber for raised beds?

"Dav" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 12:40 pm, geronimo wrote:
For square foot gardening, I was thinking it might be cheaper to use
landscaping timbers that have two flat sides, drill holes near the
ends with two of them stacked, and then drive 1 in. EMT conduit into
the holes to fix them into position---- like I have seen done with
raised flowerbeds. Untreated wood would probably rot in a short time.
But what about growing veggies? What are the chances that toxins could
get into the vegetables from the lumber if it's treated? Has someone
actually tested to see if arsenic leaches out and gets taken into the
plants?

I had 2x8" raised beds which I ended up removing & just leaving the
bed sort of humped up a little, Thus it was much easier to hoe between
the short rows with a narrow weeder. Also if you ever want to use a
tiller again, no borders welcome. I turn over my beds at the end of
the year or in spring with a spade & it was harder with the frame in
place. And there not natural.
Dav
Dav

Why do you turn your beds over, and how deep?