Old 29-08-2009, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_4_] Zootal[_4_] is offline

Default winter crops

"Gloria P" wrote in message
Zootal wrote:
At your elevation, isn't a bit late for planting winter crops? When is
your first frost, and how much snow do you get up there?

SW Utah around St. James, is often called the Banana Belt for its mild
climate. Of course a tiny shift in the jet stream means all bets are
off....

gloria p

Extreme SW Utah would be the St. George area. Hotter then blazes in summer,
two hours from Vegas and similar climate. Head NE a bit and you are going
uphill and quickly get into cooler weather.

I would say that if the first frost is only a few weeks away, it is too late
for most winter crops. At least when I plant them that late they start to
grow, it gets cold, and they go dormant. They rot, the frost/ice kills them,
but what does survive will give me nice greens and onions in the spring.
YMMV - where I live that is what happens when I plant at the end of August
or September, and we don't get a good frost until early to mid October.