Old 30-08-2009, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snails in the water butt

'Mike' wrote:
One of our butts seems to be a swimming pool for snails, except they can't
swim and drown. They float for a while then I presume sink. Will it cause
any problem?

Not likely to cause any problems for your plants. I get a few snails
appear in mine too, presumably washed down the guttering. As they
decompose they will add a bit of extra nourishment to the water. That is
the view I take anyway. Today I've pumped some water from our
underground tank and noticed a dead frog floating on top. It also
collects the occasional dead rodent. I certainly wouldn't want to drink
the water! Good for plants though.

Once a year, usually in Spring I completely empty the 500 litre water
butt - it ends up with smelly sludge in the bottom, presumably from the
decomposed insects and leaves.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.