Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Heat wave killed my corn

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:03:34 -0700, Frank Warner wrote:

I've got a few rows of corn in the back yard. They were coming up
nicely; beautiful, lush and green, and we'd actually managed to eat a
few ears before a sudden heat wave seemed to kill them off. Temps in the
triple digits the last three days turned them from green to brown,
although they were irrigated every day during the hot spell.

Now I wonder, should I pick all the corn as soon as I can and freeze it?
Will the plants "bounce back" now that the weather is more normal, so I
can go back to picking them only after the water has come to a boil?

On a brighter note, the watermelon seemed to thrive in the heat!

-Frank

I'd pick it. My corn was pathetic this year, the biggest ear was less
than 2 inches long. Corn normally comes in at the end of July or early
August in New England, I didn't get anything until the end of August and
what I got was small an overripe. I've managed to get two meals out of my
corn field, I'm hoping I'll get one more meal before it all dies.