Old 01-09-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Coriander seeds

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:30:08 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote ...
"Ophelia" wrote:
"Kathy" wrote in message
I have a fair number of these. I know I can use them in cooking, but
don't
know how! Do I use them whole, or crushed? Do I remove the outer
bit?
chewed on one today and found it very pleasant, with a hint of lemon.

In India they are put on the table in restaurants and the customers
chew
them after the meal. I suppose they are meant to be breath fresheners.

In Indian restaurants in Europe too.

It's Fennel seeds not Coriander that you chew as a digestive and mouth
freshener after a meal in India/Indian Restaurants and normally some are
sugar coated. You can by them in any good Indian grocers. (says he who
shops in Southall for spices etc)

Ahh! I didn't try them so I only accepted what I was told Thanks, Bob.

Apologies to Kathy!

You get a mix, in Dutch Indian restaurants, which includes coriander and
cumin
seeds. Cumin seeds are also used in Leidse Kaas.

Glory be! I don't eat spicy stuff so I don't know about such all that