Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Heat wave killed my corn

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
My corn was pathetic this year, the biggest ear was less
than 2 inches long.

I noticed you hadn't done any updates lately. I guess it didn't really work
out, then? I never got around to getting my pumpkins in, so mine was a "two
sisters" deal. My Chires baby corn did okay, but the sweet corn pollinated
too early, so many of the kernels ended up not developing. The ears were
from 4-8 inches long, and while a few of them were nearly complete, most
were comically random. (The kids loved eating the individual big, fat,
yellow kernels on each ear!) The corn field made for good grazing outside,
but we never had enough to make it inside. (Of course, with four kids who
LOVE garden vegetables, a lot of things never make it to the house!)

The beans, I didn't pick at all. Just let the seeds drop. We'll probably
have some volunteers next year. I've since mowed the entire field down, and
will plant clover and alfalfa there soon.
--S.