Old 03-09-2009, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default Carrots

Gordon H wrote:
In message , June Hughes
writes
I have never been successful in growing carrots. They either got
carrot fly, were thin and weedy or were eaten by beasties before I
harvested them. This year, I put some in a plastic tub and have just
harvested around 3 pounds, so am delighted. It may not be much to all
you gardeners who are better than me but to me it is brilliant. Like
the potatoes, I shall put them in the ground next year and hope for
the best. I am very pleased

I grew a few Early Nantes in a tub this year, and they were the
straightest carrots I've grown, though smallish.
The only way I avoided bifurcated and distorted carrots in open ground
was by dibbing a tapering hole and filling it with sand and compost.

I have always had poor success with carrots. However, this year,
following Geoffrey Smith's suggestion in "Mr. Smith's Vegetable Garden",
I planted a row in a 2" to 3" deep drill filled with builders' sand
(late March). Very successful.

I persisted with some normal soil planting; they seemed to grow slowly,
and to no size and were misshapen. Also these were attacked by carrot
fly; but that may have been due to the proximity of overhanging trees.

Best regards,

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.