Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ann Hartley Ann Hartley is offline

Default Carrots

Have you tried sowing summer savoury herbs with the carrots this is supposed
to help with carrot fly
this seemed to help with me
Ann

Hello Bob,

"shazzbat" wrote ((SNIP))

I'm wondering whether a similar strategy may work to avoid leek moth
next year.

Not in our experience, but unlike carrots with carrot fly the leeks
usually come through the attack unharmed, except they may be a touch
smaller than normal. We've had Leek Moth for years and the only thing
that seems to do any good if it gets a serious problem** is a good
dusting of Derris powder right into the centre of the plant, oh sorry,
can't get Derris any more!!!

** some years it is much worse than others, when we first got it the
damage was serious and right into the heart of the plant, this year
just the tips of the leaves show damage.