Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Carrots

In message , Jonathan Campbell
writes

I have always had poor success with carrots.

Nor I generally.

However, this year, following Geoffrey Smith's suggestion in "Mr.
Smith's Vegetable Garden", I planted a row in a 2" to 3" deep drill
filled with builders' sand (late March). Very successful.

I persisted with some normal soil planting; they seemed to grow slowly,
and to no size and were misshapen. Also these were attacked by carrot
fly; but that may have been due to the proximity of overhanging trees.
Best regards,
Jon C.

I seem to remember the best way to avoid carrot fly is to plant a later
variety. :-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply