Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill[_2_] Donwill[_2_] is offline

Default Green House dismantling

mark wrote:
I've been offered an aluminium green house, 6ft by 8ft.
No charge but I have to dismantle/re-erect it.

I've no experience of such an operation and I can't just remove the glass
and carry the frame as I'm 4 miles away.

Should I go for it or will it be more hassle than it's worth?

mark

Go for it, you'll need a car, preferably an estate or hatch back with a
flat area you can lay the glass on, interleaved with newspaper. A step
ladder, a screwdriver, pliers, adjustable spanner and a stout pair of
gloves to handle the glass . Have a person with you to lighten the
work, to provide reassurance and instill confidence :-) . Remove W & Z
clips off the roof removing glass as you go working methodicaly
downwards to the floor. The frame can easily be dismantled after
removing the glass.
You will probably need to replace the clips as I did with stainless
steel clips and rubber seals, some glass will inevitably crack which you
will also have to replace ( I lost 2).
I purchased my new clips, alu bolts/nuts and new rubber seals from PLC
Products, Westhall, Halesworth, Suffolk. Don't know if they still are in
existence but they were a lot cheaper than our local Nursery.
Once you make a start you'll find it easy.
Cheers & good luck
Don

--
Bold is Brown with the People's Purse.