Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default What kind of worms?

On Sep 4, 11:27*am, Timothy Murphy wrote:
K wrote:
Tiger worms from an angling shop. I suspect he really meant tiger worms,
not garden worms.

But you should be able to get them free from some humus rich soil. They
breed vary rapidly in the right conditions. I can pick them up in
handfuls from my compost heap, like living spaghetti.

All my worms seem to have died
after I acquired one of these wormeries with several trays,
and transferred my compost from my previous wormery
in a dustbin-like container, with a tap at the bottom.

--
Timothy Murphy *
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

I gave up with my wormery (I live in Monkstown) after 6 months as the
worms never looked very happy and it just never got going. Most food
waste seemed to just accumulate and or/go rotten and it was hard to
keep not too hot or cold or too wet or too dry. Now we have one of
those green cone things that you used to be able to get from somwhere
in Dublin for free or subsidised but we bought it in the eco shop in
Greystones. It is hard work (my wife dug the hole). You have to dig
a big hole and bury half of it but we now put all cooked food waste in
it. We also have a whopping big normal compost heap but now put all
veg. peelings in the cone. It smells at this stage but only if you
lift the lid and put your face close to it. I am hoping the smell
will stabilise when it gets going but even if not, it is still worth
it. Now, nothing smelly ever goes in the domestic refuse.

Des