Old 16-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Stephen Howard

Default Natures Predictions

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:15:16 +0100, Bigjon wrote:

We always thought it was because the grass they lay on would be dry after
the rain, and there would be no worms on the surface so they could continue
munching as soon as the rain stopped !!

The cows round here must have perfected the five day forecast then -
'cos as I cycled home past the cows this afternoon I noted they were
all lying down, despite the heat and sunshine.

I think they just get bored of standing up. One cow sits down and all
the others think 'Hey, what a great idea' - so they all sit down for
an hour or so until one cow gets bored and decides to have a bit of a
stand-up. Then all the other cows think 'Hey, what a great idea' (
cows are very susceptible to peer pressure, you see ) and they all get
up again.

Of course it could just be the cow's national sport - making human
observers scan the horizon for clouds.
They probably score points depending on which direction the observer
looks first - with the ultimate goal being to get said observer to
stick a finger in his gob and hold it up to the prevailing wind.
I'm sure if you listen carefully at this point you'll hear a very
faint 'Yaaay' from the cows.

It has been said that cows can naturally tune into radio
transmissions, their default frequency being that of Radio 4. They
have never, ever missed a weather forecast... or an episode of the
Archers - which explains a lot about their slightly distant, insane
expressions.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk