Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Broadcast spreader

"Phisherman" wrote in message
My $40 Scotts broadcast spreader is going to the trash heap, never
again will buy a Scotts product. This spreader is literally falling
apart and I have kept good care of it. I'm looking for a new walk
behind spreader that will last a few years and better quality. The
Lowes and Home Depot sell cheap spreaders (I guess that is what
sells), but we have a new Tracter Supply Co. store. My local choices
are limited as I am in a small town, anyone have comments on this one
for use on one acre of fescue lawn?

Pro Broadcast Spreader with rain cover 100# capacity 4404303 (sale
$118)

http://tinyurl.com/lwd3r7

I think this brand is "Harvest" but not sure. Any comments?

How many years did your $40 spreader last?

If it gave good service for two years it cost you $20/year, not
unreasonable.

There are commercial spreaders that _may_ last like 20 years (and still need
maintenence/parts) but can easily cost $400 and up... will still cost
minimally $20/year... Lesco comes to mind.

Were it me, with this type of product I would accept that a $40 spreader
will serve me so long and then I'd rather replace that with the same than
lay out $400 for a spreader that is supposed to last long but may not... or
may outlast me, or how long I live where I can care for an acre of lawn.
That's the kind of logic I employ when replacing expendable tools, calculate
price per year and estimate the number of years of service... and I never
expect such products to last beyond the manufactureres warranty, any extra
is a gift. That said I still have my old walk behind Scotts rotary spreader
that I used for like 10 years but haven't for the last seven years except
once when I spread a 100 pound bag of grass seed. The neighbor where I
lived last bought the same spreader when I did but his lasted only two
years, he rarely cleaned his, if ever, I washed mine very throughly right
after each use; lawn fertilizer is very caustic. And no matter which
spreader, if you leave chemical in the hopper between uses all you'll get is
like two years service, hardly justifiable for a $400 investment. I think
Scotts sellss a pretty decent homeowner product for the price.

Scotts sells various spreaders, which did you have?
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr... 2&id=cat50016