Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Kris[_3_] Kris[_3_] is offline

Default Any one else have a bad tomato season?

On Sep 6, 8:55*am, Gary Woods wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
I've been having trouble with Late Blight for several years, but usually
manage to get a crop anyway

I had a heavy attack of late blight, encouraged by a cold wet summer here
in upstate NY. *Got enough tomatos for salad, but not for canning. *I got a
few "Silvery Fir Tree" fruits to preserve my seed supply at least.... I'm
going to give the seeds a quick dilute Clorox bath after their usual
fermenting/cleaning. *
All my plants are started from seed, but there are apparently enough spores
about, despite my rural location, to infect everything in a year like this.
I'm looking for suitable treatment for next year, with the emphasis on
things that are proven to work. *Organic preferred, but....

Gary,

If there's something I could add to my soil, I'd be much obliged to
hear what it is.

Kris, suddenly wishing she was a Master Gardener