Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dido22 dido22 is offline

Default splitting tomatoes

Hello,

I grow tomatoes in a small g'house in large tubs. The tubs are well-drained
and filled with decent compost and gravel at the bottom. My toms almost
always split and this year seems to have been worse than ever. Its not a
major problem, they taste fine, but they dont last as long. I know that the
problem is irregular watering, or overwatering as they start to ripen. .

My questions, will it help if I used 'ring culture'? ; would it help if I
mixed water retaing granules in with the compost? ; is it worth setting up
some sort of auto-watering system ?

My G'house stands on a concrete base so I cannot plant them in the ground

Thanks for all ideas