Old 07-09-2009, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Keith Cunningham Keith Cunningham is offline

Default potato blight

"Fred" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm in the Midlands. Has anyone suffered from blight (tomato or
potato) this year?

A friend said he lost his tomatoes. he went away for a weekend and
when he came back they had gone. Could that have been blight?

I had problems with slugs last year so this year I planted kestrel and
Romano potatoes. One week they were growing nicely; the next week
there was nothing there! It was as if they had been stolen! I have dug
the ground and there are some tubers. Most are fine but there have
been a few that were mushy.

I don't know much about blight. Does this sound like it may have been
the cause? I've read a little via google and I understand it is
carried in the wind. Would polytunnels reduce the risk of blight?

I have also read that some people spray every couple of weeks. Do many
people here do that?

Finally, what varieties can you recommend that are blight and slug
resistant?

TIA

Last year blight destroyed my entire crop. This year I've grown Fantasico
and Ferline, outside, in the same compost as last year, and they're
blight-free so far. They're just starting to ripen. I grow them in outside
in pots.

KeithC