Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Tomatoes (yet again) - cropping

On 2009-09-07 14:31:24 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

There was a program (Channel 4 I think) a few weeks back about
commercial growing in the Channel Islands, and about a couple of firms
which had been growing tomatoes for decades.
One was finally closing up shop, the other was still going strong.

The one still going strong was getting some fantastic yields - IIRC up
from 4Kg per plant to 40Kg per plant.

snip

Do you happen to know the name of the growers, because I might be able
to find out what variety they grow. Only might, mind you! Was it in
Guernsey?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Not sure I have found the right program, but this report, especially
the bits about using waste heat from power stations, is fascinating
reading!

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/farmi...ing.5361944.jp

"At the heart of his operations are two little gas-powered electricity
plants which Scottish & Southern built on his land so it could sell him
the waste heat and count that towards its green behaviour obligations.
When the generators are running, heat is piped into the glasshouses if
needed and if not, into "dump tanks" of water, which act as simple heat
stores. Extra CO2 - the oxygen of plant life - is also pumped into the
growing areas, from the generator exhausts. A computer runs all this in
co-ordination with the ventilation and, as a last resort, switches on
the nursery's own boilers."

We saw a programme on Thanet Earth some time ago - fascinating, as you
say. One of the really good firms growing toms is Parkers in the Isle
of Wight - called WIght Salads now, IIRC. My husband's family grew
tomatoes commercially and Parkers were in that area, too until they
moved to the IoW.