Old 08-09-2009, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please look at this, much appreciated.

ForTheWin wrote:

Okay so perhaps not the best first post in the world but I'll have
another go.

The image itself is of a potting workstation which can be connected to
a mains water supply to wash down pots or clean tools. (THIS IS NOT MY
PRODUCT, THIS IS AN EXISTING PORODUCT ON THE MARKET!)

(a) what it is supposed to do - As the name suggests a portable
storage device, it is supposed to be able to hold all the tools my
grandma will need when she is gardening be it in the back or front
garden, it is supposed to hold all her tools and equipment etc...

I have some problems with the concept.

- To do potting you need; pots, media, plants or seeds, tools and water.
How much of this are you intending to cart around? In some cases the media
has been made (or delivered) in bulk and is not conveniently movable. Smart
gardeners walk to the heavy and bulk materials and work there - they don't
carry them about in order to work with them. Smarter gardeners dump the
media next to the work area.

- How strong is Grandma? Some grandmas (and non-grandmas) will be happier
selecting one or two tools out of the potting shed and taking them where
they need to be used rather than shlepping the lot around with them,
including the kitchen sink, regardless of which are needed on the day. A
good setup would have the workspace near all the materials it needs
including tools. Typically if working away from that workspace one puts the
tools in the wheelbarrow which you are going to use because often you need
the wheelbarrow too.

(b) show a better view of it - As it is not made yet, I am unable to
show you it I should start designing soon so I will be able to post
some pictures of my sketches/drawings soon.

I would hope that with your drawings you will be able to explain why and
when a portable setup is advantageous to a fixed one, not just how your
design has more bells and whistles than the others. Extra features mean
extra cost and weight.

With regards the "bag," I was mearly trying to prompt your brains into
thinking about whether or not that would be a good thing to have, so
when my grandma is gardening, she can put all her rubbish in a bag
which is already open, so that she doensn't have to wrestle with the
wind to open it.

It depends if the rubbish is compostable and how and where the bag might be
emptied.

Thank you David for your reply, hope this helps.

You are welcome. If I seem negative don't take it personally, reality can
be very negative, if you are going to do design there is no point in
pretending otherwise.

David