Old 08-09-2009, 10:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Captain America Captain America is offline

Default Planting Wildflower Seeds ??

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:07:51 -0400, "James" no
wrote:

Ok, so I want to have a very small area, perhaps 150 square feet, in an area
that is now grassed. I plan to sow heavy with a mixed wildflower seed.

Before seeding, I plan to put down about 3 inches of soil. I will throw
out the seed, and then tamp it in, by walking over it with my boots.

Question 1: What should I do with the existing grass ? Won't the 3
inches of soil kill the grass ? Or, should I first kill the grass with
roundup ?

Question 2: What keeps grass and weeds from growing back in this area ?
It would seem that in about two years, the grass would be as high as the
wildflowers.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James

The grass will grow up through the three inches of soil. You need to
kill it or remove it.