Old 08-09-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer leaf scorch - what to do?

CT wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Is it in a windy area? They don't like a lot of wind and/or wet
roots. Make sure it can drain well.

Yes, it's in a sheltered corner and it drains well when I water it.
How much water should I be giving it this time of year? I'm assuming
"not much".

Just enough to keep the soil slightly moist. How much water will
depend on how much sun and wind it's getting.

Keep in mind that 'Garnet' likes a bit of sun, and the more you
give it the better colour it will have. Too much shade and it
will fade to a rather pedestrian green.

It is true that some palmatums are quite sensitive to wind, which
will cause scorch. But others aren't. For example I have Mirte,
Shishigashira, Chitoseyama, Osakazuki and others growing in full
sun and full wind, they are doing just fine. We're not on the
shore mind, but on a crest where we get quite high gusty winds.
Honestly I think wind is more of a danger in winter when it's
very cold, it can cause bark injuries.

About protecting the pot. First, don't pick a pot that is much
larger than what it's currently in. (Lack of roots in the pot
extremity cause the soil to compact and can lead to eventual
drainage problems). Japanese maple roots freeze at -14C (IIRC) so
if the air is colder than this for an extended period protection
will be necessary. Otherwise the most important thing is to make
sure they don't get too much water while the plant is dormant.

-E