Old 09-09-2009, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planting Wildflower Seeds ??

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 21:07:51 -0400, "James" no
wrote:

Ok, so I want to have a very small area, perhaps 150 square feet, in an area
that is now grassed. I plan to sow heavy with a mixed wildflower seed.

Before seeding, I plan to put down about 3 inches of soil. I will throw
out the seed, and then tamp it in, by walking over it with my boots.

Question 1: What should I do with the existing grass ? Won't the 3
inches of soil kill the grass ? Or, should I first kill the grass with
roundup ?

Remove the grass, any method.

Question 2: What keeps grass and weeds from growing back in this area ?
It would seem that in about two years, the grass would be as high as the
wildflowers.

Mulch helps. Weeding is one of those gardening chores. You might
want to carefully plan the area to minimize weeding chores.

What am I missing here ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

James