Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Linda Hungerford Linda Hungerford is offline

Default No cantaloupes or watermelons

On Sep 2, 8:09*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Because of some health reasons, I did not get a good start on my gardening
until late this year. *I do hope to use the next cool months to get things
ready for next year and get a jump on things.

All of the cantaloupes, watermelons, and pumpkins I planted this year failed
dismally. *They had yellow leaves and tiny fruit. *This was the first
planting. *I had a sandy area where there was a water head, so I added about
five bags of amendment (turkey shit based locally suggested stuff) and a

Steve

out of lurk mode.... around here (SE Illinois) the turkey amendment is
disked into the soil in the fall and allowed to cool off over the
winter months.
Linda H.