Old 09-09-2009, 05:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Spring planting

In article 4a977965$0$28353$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, ask@itshall said...
:"Jeßus" wrote in message
: Slow and steady there - no use busting a woofer valve to get them all into
: the ground. Last year Himself planted a long shelter belt with minor
: assistance on my part and I can't believe how well they are all doing. We
: had a dry summer last year and so we ripped up a lot of irrigation pipes
: we'd put on another shelter belt we put in one of the paddock about 10
: years ago and gave the new trees some minor irrigation over summer. Even
: that minor assitance has them leaping out of their bark.
:
:Good to hear. I'm still learning the climate here - last summer was
:quite dry - quite a lot drier than I was expecting, meaning I'll
robably need to drip irrigate the fruit trees.
:_______________________________________
:An elderly friend, aged 75, bought a bare 5 acre block with just a house and
:shed on it 5 years ago. It's not good land at all, the soil being pale,
:stony and not attractive at all. He's spent the last 5 years planting and
:now I simply cannot believe the growth he's managed to achieve.
:
:He is very good about watering and uses a big trailer with those 3 of those
:200 litre ex chemical tanks in the metal cages to water with. He trundles
ff to the river, pumps the tansk full and then goes back and gives each
:tree about 20 litres of water at a go.
:
:The old bugger really is quite inspiring.

Its always surprising what you can achieve. Aboutt 25 years ago I lived
ona pretty barren block south of Darwin. The well would run dry after
about 10 minutes of pumping with a pretty small pump, so water was
scarce. Despite that, I had close to a quarter acre of veggies. Took a
lot to get there, the main thing was to cut down on evaporation by wind.
:__________________________________
:All the locals say the weather is changing.
:Then again, thats what you hear everywhere else as well.
:___________________________________________
:but you can't knock the local knowledge. I've lived in this region since
:1968 and the summer storms we used to get are well and truly a thing off the
ast.
:
:We also used to get afternoon breezes in summer here which would drop the
:temps here by 10 degrees C within a half hour space of time. They were as
:regualr as clockwork and you knew it was around 4.00pm when the wind from
:the west stopped and 10 minutes later it started blowing from the east. Not
:any more. We got a toal of 2 breezes all through summer last year whereas
:years ago you'd comment if you got 2 days when the breeze didn't come, now
:we comment if we do get it.
:
: Oh, N.E Tas here, btw.
:
: Aaah! God's own.
:
:I like to think so, which is why I bought this property last year
:__________________________________________
:We love Tassie but it's too far from rels and granchildren in reality. But
:we still to with the idea.
:
:Husband witters on and on about the C515 (out from Longford) and how he'd
:like to live on it. We were driving along it and he'd said to me that he'd
:love to be driving his Riley along it. Not 2 minutes later a Riley of the
:exact same model as his came towards us from the other direction. Could
:have knocked us down with a feather.

That's a nice area. Then again, there's lots of nice areas in Tassie.
There are only two areas I know I wouldn't like to live, and they are
Launceston and Hobart - purely because it's high density/suburban, which
I don't think I could handle for too long.
____________________________________
:
:The frosts can be (and are) brutal here - bad news for the garden (well,
:some of it at least), but I do love going out at daybreak during a good
:frost - everything is crisp and still.
:
:Where are you located again?
:NSW south east at about 800 M - cold and frosty in winter, hot and dry in
:summer.

Sounds a little like here, although if last summer is anything to go by,
is relatively mild. We did have a 43C one day, but wasn't so bad due to
the lack of humidity.