Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal
Dead Paul Dead Paul is offline

Default Watering cans from Tesco

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:22:40 +0100, nightjar wrote:

"Richard Bird" wrote in message

"tony" wrote in message
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco. At the
start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust and
leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt I am
reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because of the
cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude I will probably
cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy Tony Bull
www.caterpillar fountain.co.uk

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because
as far as i was aware s/s does not rust

A common misconception. If the surface is starved of oxygen, so that it
cannot form a protective coating of oxides on its surface, stainless steel
is no more corrosion resistant than mild steel.

Colin Bignell

Ah but then if the surface is starved of oxygen the surface cannot rust
since rust is actually Iron Oxide (Fe2O3 if you prefer). The process of
rusting requires oxygen. The way stainless steel works is that the
chromium content (alloyed) reacts with oxygen (rusts) and produces an
impenetrable layer which prevents further rusting.