Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.legal

Default Watering cans from Tesco

In article ,
sandy58 wrote:
On Sep 9, 7:56=A0am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Richard Bird" wrote in message
"tony" wrote in message
..=

.
Last summer I bought 2 stainless steel watering cans from Tesco.
At the start of the season this year, they were showing signs of rust
and leaking.
Tesco have refused to refund the cost as I do not have the recipt
I am reluctant to take the company to the small claims court because
of the cost,
but all gardeners should be aware of Tesco's attitude
I will probably cut up my Tesco club card and send it to Leahy

Are you sure that they are "stainless steel" and not galvanised because=

as
far as i was aware s/s does not rust

Stainless Steel can rust, it depends on the grade and make up of the Stee=

Ballocks! Where did you dig up that load of shite? "SS can rust." Go
back to school, ****.

In this thread, Mike Crowe knows a hundred times as much as the
people who are abusing him, and is being a lot politer. He is
entirely correct. Please troll elsewhere.

Many grades of stainless steel are merely rust-resistant, even in
good conditions, and there is no good reason to make gardening
equipment out of surgical-grade stainless steel.

But even the best stainless steels will corrode (and 'rust' is a
fair term) under extremely hostile conditions, such as largely
anaerobic seawater. It's a big problem in marine engineering.
The seawater removes the oxide coating, and the residual oxygen
then attacks the iron.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.