Old 09-09-2009, 04:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens.edible
Zeppo Zeppo is offline

Default Any one else have a bad tomato season?

"George" wrote in message
Zeppo wrote:
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Had a good year in So-Cal. Planted tomatoes with lots letters after the
name. Not as tasty as previous years. I got tired of being hit with
blight or whatever it is. The peppers are still going strong. Going to
add more varieties next year. All in all a very good year.

Had a so-so year in the eastern PA area. Despite late blight I had a
decent amount of fruit on all 4 plants, but very slow ripening. The only
thing that is producing at an OK rate are my yellow cherry tomatoes. Not
sure how much longer things will keep ripening. Three of the plants are
still flowering, so it's kind of hard to tell. Plus as a novice I don't
know whether to call it a day or just hold on to some hope.

Any opinions from you guys?

Jon

Depends, Also in PA . Our plants had very low yield but the cherry
tomatoes kicked in with the recent hot weather. If the nights stay mild
you can count on more cherry tomatoes.

I might just give up and stop watering them, though it looks like I wont
need to for at least the next 5 days or so.

Fried green tomatoes is now on the menu.

Jon