Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Almonds

On 2009-09-10 20:41:03 +0100, "David WE Roberts" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Our almond trees have produced a huge crop of at least a dozen or so
nuts. But can anyone tell me when you actually pick them? We have
these large green fuzzy pods on the two trees we have, so when do we
know they're 'ready to go'. I do recall eating absolutely fresh out
of the skin almonds in Crete some years ago and have never tasted
anything so delicious as that gentle, milky 'bite' that they had. Any
chance we'll find that here, from our trees?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I presume that they are eating almonds?

The house in Essex where I grew up had almond trees in the front garden.
Very pretty blossoms, good croppers, but the fruit was bitter (cyanide?).
I assume they were a decorative variety - they came with the house.

Yes, eating almonds are the ones we have here. I'll have to look at
the labels tomorrow to check the names which never stay in my memory.
Ray grew tomatoes in Essex - how dull. ;-))