Old 11-09-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nitromax® Nitromax® is offline

Default Grass seed

On 2009-09-10 11:27:20 +0100, "Nitromax®" said:

Is it too late to be seeding a small area of grass?

No but it will help you to get started if you look at the group's
FAQ on germinating grass seed before sowing it. It's called
repairing lawns because there's another FAQ on sowing lawns but the
repair method works just as well for a whole lawn!
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawnrep.htm
Also the other FAQ is very helpful on both preparing and sowing a
lawn using a different method.
http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/faqlawn.htm

Thanks for the faq, but as it happens that is very close to
how I have been doing it.

Then I'm sorry but I don't understand why you're asking if it's too
late to be seeding a small area of grass, if you've done that already?

Quite simple really, I have been repairing the lawn in stages
but wondered if it was too late in the season to continue.
Very simple when you think about it.

I have been soaking the seed for 24hrs then mixing it with
a decent fine compost, leaving it again for another 24hrs.

It has then been sown on prepared soil but as yet I have
found no need for any kind of netting, the birds are well
fed elsewhere in the garden and leave the seed well alone.

So, if you've done that, why are you asking now if it's too late to
sow a lawn? I'm puzzled. You seem to have done something and *then*
to be asking if it's too late to have done it? Is that correct?

See my previous answer and read my op again, nowhere did I state
that I had not previously seeded earlier in the season. The question
was simple and to the point, why are you trying to read into it
something else??

The only trouble I am having is with worms, the little mound
they leave behind can ruin small areas of new grass if not
cleared.

You didn't mention worms before but the one thing you do NOT want to
be without in your garden is worms. For your own garden's sake,
don't try to get rid of those. No worms = dead soil = unhappy plants
and grass is a plant. When the grass is fully grown and can safely
be walked on, mown etc. you can gently rake the worm casts back into
the grass. But worms are an indication of really, good, fertile,
healthy soil.

Did I say I was removing the worms, why would I do that?
Read what I wrote and you will see that I was referring to
removing the coil of earth they leave behind.

--
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you
realise you're wrong.